Search
  • canterburycarddesi

Alcohol ink butterfly mini slimline card

Hi crafty friends! Today I am sharing a butterfly alcohol ink card. I have rediscovered how much I absolutely love using alcohol inks for cards- making flowers, butterflies, and really cool backgrounds (coming soon!).


To begin, I took a 3 1/2" x 6" piece of Yupo paper. I cute a piece of masking tape and cut a long semi-circle from it and adhered it to the right side of the card. This allowed me to lay the black alcohol ink for the body of the butterfly without it spreading to the rest of the paper. I took a little bit of alcohol blending solution on a very thin paint brush and made some fine line on the body of the butterfly. When that was all dry, I added some white highlights.


Now the fun begins! I took a can of compressed air (the kind you clean your computer key board with) and my alcohol inks and got to work making the wings. A quick note about the compressed air...you can find really good deals on this at stores like Sam's Club where I picked up a 3-pack for $10! I had to go back to using compressed air because one of my cats thought it was fun to chew the hose on my airbrush LOL.


The alcohol inks that I used were all from Ranger. First I put down a base of Cool-Peri. I then kept adding colors and moving them around the paper until I was happy with the shape of the wings. The other colors that I used were Purple Twlight, Amethyst, and Eggplant.


You can see how brilliant these colors are. I feel like the pictures don't really do them justice! After I was happy with the shape of the wings, I added some detail with Valencia (an orange ink), and Lemonade. To make the little circles I used a Q-tip and the end of a small brush for the really tiny dots. This allows you to pick up just a tiny bit of ink and place it so that it doesn't really blend into the other colors.


I decided I wanted to use a very small sentiment to that I wouldn't cover the wings. I used the "I believe in you" sentiment from the Altenew Paint A Flower Carnations stamp set. I stamped it on 110 lb. white cardstock in Versa-Fine ink. I cute it out and adhered it to a piece of black 110 lb. cardstock, then placed a piece of foam tape on the back and adhered it to the base. I took the entire piece and adhered it to my mini slimline card base.




I am so pleased with how this card turned out! Thanks for stopping by!



4 views2 comments

Recent Posts

See All